A few months ago I decided to embark on the seemingly impossible journey of keeping my house clean for 30 days straight. Everybody said I couldn’t do it. My mom laughed, my husband joked and the mom boards rolled their eyes. They said it couldn’t be done…well…they were right. Oh boy were they right! I kept a clean house for about four days and then it got way out of hand. My 30 day challenge was completely cut short and I was very disappointed. My life isn’t all about cleaning the house. I have many responsibilities. I clean, cook, take care of the kids, maintain a blog, entertain my children with fun activities and run a home decor shop. I wish that all I had to do was keep the house clean, because then I would have the cleanest house on the block!
Well…people…I am once again sick and tired of having a messy home. I can’t stand it!I never get to feel relaxed in my own home. There are crumbs, clothes, dirt, hair, food, dishes, dust and everything imaginable in random places. I can feel tempers rise when the home gets too bad. I try to stay on top of it, but I just can’t! I decided to give the 30 day challenge another chance. But obviously things had to be different this time.
Why is my house ALWAYS so messy: (besides the obvious; kids and business).
- I procrastinate: I tell myself “I will do this later” whether it be doing the dishes, folding the laundry, cleaning up my meal prep mess or cleaning up my crafts. “I will do it later” is my biggest downfall, because newsflash people I don’t do it later. I guess I would do it later, but I was doing a million things “later” and then I was completely overwhelmed. Of course there are times when I can say “I will do it later” for instance when we are rushing out the door and the laundry is done…I am not going to stop and fold the clothes. Or if I want to take my children to the park while they are fed and happy I am not going to do the dishes while they stare at me. BUT I can’t use that excuse for every little chore I don’t want to do (which is all the chores by the way).
- Clean up things as I go! So I am pro at making messes and not cleaning up as I go. I need to get better and doing a project and putting away the things that I am done with NOW! Or if I am making dinner I need to put things away, soak dishes ect while I go so that I am not overwhelmed by the end result.
- Ask for help: I am super woman right?! I can do everything right?! WRONG! I need to start telling my husband that I need help and giving him the exact things that I need help with. He is such a great husband. He is more than willing to help, but he sometimes doesn’t know what needs to be done. I need to just start telling him exactly what he should do and let him take the load off of my shoulder sometimes.
Why I failed with my 30 day challenge last time?
- I made myself do TOO much each day! Each day I had like 30 chores that I had to follow including making everybody’s bed. Come on Nicole…you don’t need a made bed and neither does your two year old. I lost motivation to clean SO much in one day. Like I said, I don’t have time to just clean all day. I have SO many other things that I need to do besides cleaning.
- I thought my house needed to be spotless! I know that we all see those beautiful houses in the magazines and on HGTV. Well hate to break it to you, but your house will NEVER look like those homes because you are actually living in your home. I would stay up really late each morning to make sure that there wasn’t even a crumb or item out of place. I then would wake up, make my bed and get so frustrated when the children started to play! No Nicole…calm down … the children can play. I refuse to be that mom who is so afraid of messes that they won’t let their children have fun. There is a huge difference between spotless and clean! In order to accomplish this challenge I have to make sure that spotless isn’t the goal.
- I am lazy. Who really likes cleaning? I know that some cleaning and organizing is fun! But really…most cleaning is totally horrible and it just gets messy within minutes (especially with such small children running around). I feel like cleaning is so pointless and I am way too lazy to continue cleaning just to have it turn messy again. Well, I can’t really do anything about this problem. I am just going to have to buck up and get off my butt.
My plan is to give myself a couple of things that I have to do every single day to remain somewhat tidy and then I have to do one main chore each day (except Tuesday has two main chores) including something with the laundry.
Empty Dish Washer + Add Dishes from Night Before
Tidy Living Room Throughout the Day (this is the main room we are in the entire day)
Sweep Living Room
Load Dish Washer Before going to bed
Do a Load of Whites
Clean Master Bathroom
Fold the Whites
Load of Dark
Clean Living Room (Deep Clean)
Do a Load of Darks
*Organization Job/Unique Cleaning Job
Rules to Keep a Clean House
- No Procrastinating
- No saying “I will Do it Later
Today is Tuesday. I have been doing this since Thursday, so I have been trying to clean the house for five days (6 days including today) and it has been a nightmare! Not because of the chores or anything, but because of this house played a cruel joke on us! I will explain later in a further blog post, but I what happened was there was a clog in our pipes and it ended up overflowing into our wall. It damaged everything in our laundry room and we had to pull out the washer and dryer into the kitchen and then we haven’t been able to dishes! On top of all of that I have been trying to keep to a home repair schedule so we can sell this home in time (we are trying to be done with our flip by September). Anyways, so our kitchen is a MESS, because we have dirty clothes and dirty dishes everywhere! However, I have doing a really good job at cleaning the room that I have been assigned! I cleaned my bathroom yesterday and it looks stunning! My husband came home and his jaw dropped from how clean it is! It took super long to clean, but if I make sure to scrub it down every week then each week will be easier and easier to clean! The roter rooter guy came today and fixed the clog, I am fixing the pipe tonight, the home insurance people are coming tomorrow to fix the damage and so maybe I will get my laundry room and kitchen back in a week. Right now my living room is a mess too, because I am putting down the brown paper floors in the office (that’s attached to my living room) this week. So although our house is messy it’s only because of our catastrophe. I still consider this week a win for 30 day challenge!