Reupholstered Hawaiian Chair
Hey there! So I have decided to not only get into the wonderful world of blogging, but I have also decided to pull my luck at buying things from thrift stores, making them beautiful and then selling them! It is a very exciting and nerve wracking journey, because there is a lot of pressure! Am I right? You buy something and think it is the best thing ever and then nobody else thinks it’s the best thing ever and there ya are…with that thing you don’t need…staring at you…telling you that you failed…haha okay, I am a bit of a dramatic person! Can you tell?
Okay moving on to the purpose of this post!
So I found this chair at Goodwill for $8. It was really solid construction! It didn’t wobble or have awkward features. And it told me… “Nicole you NEED to make me beautiful!” And I was like “What, a talking chair?!” haha…okay you probably didn’t think that was funny, but I am over here laughing!
So here is my $8 chair.
So check this chair out! It so desperately needed a makeover and I had the perfect idea for it! I was going to paint the old brown wood and then reupholster with a new fresh and clean fabric! So I read around as to how to reupholster fabric and everything that I read talked about taking off the old fabric and all that jazz! I decided I didn’t want to to do that. I feel like it wouldn’t matter taking off the fabric or not. So I just took my pretty fabric and went over the old chair. I bought my fabric for about $7 a yard and bought two yards. I spent around $13. I REALLY liked the fabric and it would be at this time that I wish I would have invested in fabric when the nearby craftstore was going out of business. But I had NO idea I would be reupholstering furniture only a month later.
So the first thing that I did was turn the chair upside down and take out the four screws that kept it in!
I then laid down the fabric and pulled tightly all around the base and stapled around the whole bottom. Now this was tricky, because I don’t have a staple gun so you have to open up the stapler and hit the right spot REALLY hard in order for it to create the same effect. It took me a couple of bad staples to get the right way to do it. But then once I figured it out this part went REALLY fast!
After I stapled everything, then I had a whole bunch of extra fabric hanging over, so I just decided to cut it.
And that’s it for the base.
I then needed to paint the wood. I chose to use some of the left over door paint, because then I knew it would have a smooth and soft finish and I knew it would go on really nicely and boy was I right! It looks GREAT!
I was SO happy with this blue! Cyberspace from Sherman Williams
The next part was the hardest part, because the top section didn’t have any screws or anything and there was no way to cut off the fabric without actually cutting the chair’s padding, so I decided to just use hot glue underneath the headrest. I used hot glue in the crease at the bottom and put the fabric there. Then I pulled REALLY tight and hot glued the other side. With each chair you are mostly likely going to have to problem solve how to reupholster it, because each chair is SO different and has it’s own little quirks.
I then put back on the seat portion and I was finished! Yaaa!!!
In the end I spent $20 on this chair. I will update later to tell you how much I sold it for! But at this time I am asking $45-$50!