30 Activities to Do With a Toddler
1.Make a Fort: Sorry mommy. This one requires you to relax a little bit and not care about your perfectly organized living room. Make a fort with your toddler and play with them. We choose to do ours with a cheap old table and a tunnel with a blanket over it. But you can get really creative with this (you were young once)! You can use boxes or even couch cushions. Messes Make Memories I say (or maybe I just say that as an excuse not to have an incredibly clean home).
2. Take your Toddler to Best Buy: Okay I know this sounds really weird, but my kid loves going to stores like Best Buy. There are so many things to do at Best Buy that your toddler will love (oh and your husband too). The men in my life (my son and my husband) love looking at all of the televisions and the video games.
Each time we go we spend at least an hour playing here. I don’t know if the Best Buy people like it, but we think it is fun!
3. Making Brownies: Let’s be real…the toddler isn’t going to help you make the brownies. But he can help you lick the bowl! Don’t judge me, but this was just too cute! He made such a big mess and it was so much fun and so worth it. We were both laughing and my husband came in and took one look at us and said “I am not cleaning that up!” And then walked away! Needless to say…my husband doesn’t really having the carefree spirit as I do.
4. Playing with bubbles : Toddles love bubbles….ALL children love bubbles! They are simple, cheap and you can do them just about anywhere. I prefer outside because if we do bubbles…we do A LOT of bubbles and so I don’t like getting my carpet or floor soapy and wet. My (almost) two year old is trying really hard to learn how to blow them himself and we are learning how to do it!
5. Aquarium: There are aquariums almost everywhere. You just have to find them. Thankfully we live rarely close to an ocean so we are in driving distance of quite a few. Kids love animals. They love watching and learning. My son could have stayed at the aquarium forever and just watch the fishes.
We went with my parents and they love experiencing the joy that my son has for the animals. I am excited to take him back soon.
6. Children’s Museum: We have an awesome children’s museum here and we even have year passes (courtesy of my dear mother). He loves going and playing, exploring and using his imagination. I love watching my son play in a safe environment with other children. It teaches him how to share, play and work with together.
7. Zoo: We have only taken my son one time to the zoo, but I am excited for the weather to get a little nicer so we can make the hour trip to our nearby zoo. My son loved it and he loved watching all of the animals. I am extremely excited to take him again now that he knows his animal noises and can tell us which animal is which. I am so very excited (did I say I was excited).
8. Walk: Okay this may seem really basic, but my child just loves the outside. He loves being pushed around in the various riding toys that he has (this red one happens to be his favorite). My husband and I have spent many hours walking around with our children. It’s a great way to spend time as a family, get out of the house, promote exercise and having a happy son (the happy son part is one of the most important right haha).
9. Pool: I took my two year old to the pool. He absolutely loved splashing and playing. I also dropped my baby off in the child watch so that I could just have mommy/toddler time! He really liked how there were other children to play with AND it made my job a lot easier, because then I could relax a lot more.
10. Trampoline Park: Near our home we have an awesome indoor trampoline park where almost every inch of the indoor structure is a trampoline. These places are becoming the new rage and a lot of cities have them now! I strapped my baby on my chest in the ergo baby and chased after my toddler as he jumped. He was a little weary at first, but then he really enjoyed it.
11. Whip Cream: This one is so easy and so messy and it’s awesome! I started doing this with my son since he was a little baby (around 10 months). I decided to spray whip cream in a cupcake pan and then spray a little of food coloring in it. It’s so much fun! And makes a big mess and the kid just loves it! 🙂
This is the first time that we tried the Whip Cream idea and he loved it! He was really confused at first, but then loved it! If you are worried that he shouldn’t eat that much sugar. He played with it more than he ate it. And then he was able to take a bath afterwards (which he really likes).
12. Playing at the Park: You can never go wrong with going to the park! I mean…who doesn’t like the park!? We are lucky enough to have park within walking distance and so I throw the kids in the stroller and we walk to the park! Make sure you pack some water and maybe a lunch, because the kids will never want to leave!
13.Playing with the Hose: Is my toddler the only child who just loves playing with the hose? It’s a wee bit cold right now, but when it gets warmer it provides so much entertainment. If you are worried about all that wasted water…have him direct the water somewhere positive. My mom has him water her flowers and garden. We love having him fill up his pool.
14. Baby Pool: Once again this is so much fun (but we need to wait for the summer: SUMMER COME ALREADY)! We throw some awesome toys inside like strainers, pots, pans and measuring cups. He loves playing!
There is my son playing with his sweet cousin! 🙂
15. Splash Pad: Many places have an awesome splash pad for children during the summer. We have a few here and I brought my son there so many times this past summer and I can’t wait for it to become warm again so that we can go back and enjoy those water pads.
16. Gardening: So on one of my DIY projects I decided to let my toddler help. He loved getting dirty and messy. Sometimes as a parent you just have to let clothes get dirty. Check out the end result of that project here!
17. Humane Society: We have done this a couple of times. My son loves looking at the animals and petting the dogs through the kennels. On one of our humane society trips that we took we actually found our sweet Sammy! Derek actually won’t let me go to the Humane Society, because he is afraid I am going to bring home a dog.
18. Chuck E Cheeses: Now a lot of people don’t really like this place. I understand that some locations are worst then others, but to a child it just doesn’t matter. My kid doesn’t know when a place is a little more “rundown” and I am a pretty relaxed parent so we enjoy our Chuck E Cheeses trips.
We have been about four or five times with him and he just absolutely loves it! And it is super cheap! Cheap and fun is the best right!?
19. Toddle Days: There are a lot of community centers/gyms that have special days where they have designated toddler days. At our gym every Tuesday is Toddler Day and they have an awesome set-up where children can come and play! My son loves it and he really enjoys playing with other children.
20. Amusement Park: This seems like a little bold, but there are always little amusement parks that are targeted towards young children. We have a wonderful little amusement park near us that we have been with my husband’s family a couple of times. He loves it and it’s great. These types of events should be reserved on special occasions, because they can be a little bit more on the expensive side.
21. Coloring: We love to dump out the crayons and color pencils and draw everywhere (sadly I really mean everywhere). I really try to re-direct his coloring to the designated appropriate areas though.
22. Reading; My son loves to read! He loves books! One of his first words was “book” because he loves them so much. He loves to sit on our laps and flip through the pages. This is an awesome activity that we should really encourage.
23. Dancing/Singing: Turn on some Pandora and bust out some tunes! My son loves dancing and singing so much he cries when the Pandora starts playing an ad. This is such a great activity and it wears the little one out so we have a chance at either a nap or an early bedtime (well sometimes at least).
24. Library Story Time: I know that the nearby library has story time for children. The one I am familiar with the most involves singing, playing and reading. It is a lot of fun! We haven’t been able to go to the one that is near our home since we have moved, but I want to shortly.
This is when he was bald and still a baby, but it is one of my favorite pictures of him! He totally loves being around other children.
25. Beach Trip: We took my lovely son to the beach a few times before I had baby #2. We haven’t been back, but boy did he love it when we went. It was a bit chilly and yet he was crying, because we wouldn’t let him play in the ocean. This kid didn’t want to play in the sand, but the freezing cold water (we live in Oregon…the water is cold). But I am excited to try again and see if he enjoys playing in the sand too.
This is my dad chasing after my son while he makes a break towards the cold water.
26. Play-Doh: Hours of fun! They can smash, roll, cut and mold. Watch their imaginations go wild!
27. Decorating Cookies: We haven’t done this yet, but this is totally on our list! I am going to make sugar cookies. I want to let him cut the cookies into fun shapes and then make a complete mess decorating with frosting and sprinkles.
28. Finger Painting: I am excited to try this with my son, because he loves painting and drawing on things. Check out this post to see how much he loves writing on things. I am excited to see how he responds to me actually allowing him to write.
29. Baths: Whenever my toddler is really driving me crazy I just make him happy by giving him a bath. He loves it! I throw bubbles in there and then some awesome toys! He splashes and plays until the water is cold and his body is pruned. I have to make sure that I put towels around everywhere or he will make such a horrible mess. We have a lot of fun though and its a great healthy activity.
30. Jump on the Bed: Hey mom! Relax! Let your little one jump on the bed 🙂 We have so much fun throwing him on the bed and attacking his little feet as he jumps. Although my boy is wild and loves rough housing (some kids aren’t into this). But my dude loves it and we have such a ball with it. He cries when we stop and have to do other thing!s.
Comment with some other awesome fun toddler activities!